Friday, January 1, 2010

2009 - The Year In Concerts

I made it to 43 shows in 2009. Not as many as some but more than most I think. It was a pretty good year for me live music-wise but I think I need to slow it down a bit in 2010. Some highlights for me...

Bruce Springsteen - Nassau, Giants Stadium Nights 3 & 5, MSG (E. Street Shuffle & The River Live)

What can I say, I love the Boss. I've seen him too many times to count and this tour (as well as the Magic tour which this was really an extension of) featured some of the best shows I've seen him do. Was it 78 or 80, no it wasn't, but certainly the shows were as good as the BITUSA tour and in my opinion better than either the Reunion Tour or The Rising shows (which were also pretty damn good). Let's hope this is not the end.

Railroad Earth - Boulton Center and Music Hall of Williamsburg

These guys are my new favorite "jam band". The acoustic instruments and the "bluegrass"sound are great. Can't wait for the next show in February.

Texas Independence Day - Terminal 5

Robert Earl Keen, Cross Canadian Ragweed, Charlie Robison and Ray Wylie Hubbard. Can I get a Hell Yeah?

Allman Brothers Band - Beacon Theater

One of the best nights I have seen them. Eric Clapton doesn't hurt either. If this is the end then they are going out on a high note.

Randy Rogers Band - Highline Ballroom

Too rock for Nashville, too country for rock. To it's just right. A great live band.

Steely Dan - Beacon Theater

This is the right venue for the Dan. Great songs, great performance, just a great night.

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Concert - Both Nights

I just found an audio rip of the HBO special. It's funny, I loved being there and Stevie Wonder and Bruce were amazing but much of the others left me pretty ambivalent on re-listening. Somethings are best experienced once and remembered instead of re-lived.

Some Pleasant Surprises:

Patti Smith, The Subdudes & The Cult

Some Disappointments

The Dead, Three Girls and their Buddy (great show but no Buddy Miller - Glad He's better)

It really was a good year. Most of the shows I saw I enjoyed. I was tortured at a few but it was for my son (Buckethead??? Never again) so I can live with it. If you haven't been to a show lately it's time to get out there and see some live music.

No comments:

Post a Comment