Wednesday, April 11, 2012

2012 - Not Off To The Best Start

I was hoping to hear some great music this year but so far after 1/4 of the year passing I am less than knocked out.  I know things will pick up but there hasn't been too much to fire me up thus far, the exception being Wrecking Ball which keeps on getting better.  Two releases in particular have been a disappointment, one from a group that I really like and one that has been hyped to hell and back.

I have to admit that I have not seen the Alabama Shakes live which is supposed to be something special.  The hype made it sound like they are right up my alley music wise but so far...I got nuthin'.  The songs come off as half baked and not ready for prime time.  I've tried a few times but I just can't get into it.  So much for this year's next big thing.

The new Lucero is more of a problem for me as I really like these guys.  It's not that the new record is bad...far from it.  The issue is that it is not great and I want it to be.  This is like a slicker version of 1372 Overton Park (which I really liked) but with too little grit.  Will the songs come to life live, probably (I'll find out next week) but after a bunch of listens I find myself not exactly seeking this one out to put on the turntable.

Maybe my thoughts will change...that happens all the time, but so far I am less than thrilled with either of these releases.

I have some thoughts on Dr. John and Joe Pug coming up some time in the near future. Things are beginning to look up.

2 comments:

  1. i kinda know what you mean about women and work, took me a couple of listens but now really love it
    my advice, dont think about it too much, dont weigh it down with songs from the past, just sit back and enjoy it as a straight up rock n roll record

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm gonna keep plugging away. At worst it is an OK Lucero record which is still pretty good.

    ReplyDelete