Thursday, April 5, 2012

Bruce Springsteen at the Izod Center - April 4th

I wasn't going to go this tour.  I've seen Bruce and the band so many times over the years that I thought I could sit this one out.  The tickets were damn near impossible to get and I wasn't going to pay a scalper.  I was always able to get tickets before so this one I was sitting out.  Then the record dropped and I kept playing it and playing it.  I absolutely love Wrecking Ball...it's everything a Springsteen record should be.  So in the end what did I do?  I paid the scalpers.  And I am so glad I did.

Bruce is never less than good and so often great that you can take him for granted.  I've see pretty much every tour multiple times for over 30 years and have enjoyed them all and absolutely loved most nights.  Did I mention that I am a fan?  What is really amazing to me is how the shows are getting better over the past 15 years.  The Reunion tour was really good...lots of old classics.  The Rising tour was full of great new songs and it morphed into these mega celebrations by the time it hit the stadiums.  The Magic / WOAD tour was a fan's dream by the end with those great Giants Stadium shows and the E. Street and River nights at MSG, not to mention the Seeger Sessions and solo shows!  Last night was as good as those those nights and sometimes even better.


You can tell how deeply Bruce feels about the new music. It takes center stage and the expanded E. Street Band is more than up to the task of making it come alive. Last night he played 7 of the 11 new songs and then came the tour premiers!

Wow! Three off the River (Ties That Bind, Jackson Cage and Ramrod), Candy's Room and a stellar version of Racing In The Streets. I've seen dozens of shows over the years and this one seems to pop up infrequently on the nights I go. Last night's version with the full horns was simply breathtaking. It needs to be in the set more often. And then there was Johnny 99 getting the FULL band treatment. A big highlight.

The only bummer for the night is the gaping hole left by the loss of the Big Man. Jake is pretty good in his own right and the crowd is loving him, but there is no denying that we are indeed missing a few pieces on stage. The video montage during 10th Avenue Freeze out was an emotional time for all. A nice touch that should be there every night.

I can't say enough good things about Wrecking Ball and Rocky Ground is becoming a favorite. Great performance last night with Michelle Moore. Trapped is a long time favorite and was a great way to kick off the encores. I really have nothing bad to say. I would have liked Land of Hope and Dreams, but with all the surprises who am I to complain?

Anyone have an extra for Monday night?

No comments:

Post a Comment