Saturday, February 23, 2013

Richard Shindell at the Boulton Center


Richard Shindell was at the Boulton Center in Bayshore last night.  I've been a fan for quite a while now but I have to say I was a bit disappointed with last night's performance.  Why you ask?  Well for some reason Mr. Shindell is now very much enamored with the electric guitar and used one on approximately 3/4 of the set.  He has also expanded his backing group since the last time I saw him to include a piano player and a percussionist.  All in all a bit loud and disjointed sounding to me.
 
 
He played several new songs which were ok, and re-worked several others with new arrangements.  Not Bob Dylan crazy, but not exactly the best for the material.  All in all the two hour set left me generally unexcited.  Not the way I wanted to start my 2013 live shows.

 
 
These shots were from the encore...a nice version of I Know You Rider.  He also covered Robert Johnson's Love in Vain.  His version was closer to the Stones than the original.  On a new tune, Stray Cow Blues, he broke out the distorted "blues mike"...never a good idea.


No comments:

Post a Comment