Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Grey Fox Bluegrass Festival 2013

I look forward to this festival every year.  This year was no exception.  A great line-up, camping with my wife, son and his girlfriend, good food, good drink and HEAT.  It was freaking HOT this year.  We arrived around 9:00 on Wednesday morning and were totally set up and sweating in the heat by 10:30 at our favorite spot right near the Catskill Stage (the dance tent).
 
Thursday was the first day of music and we stuck around the tent most of the day due to the heat.  We did check out Mama Corn on the Creek side Stage and I liked them quite a bit along with the 23 String Band on the High Meadow (main stage) but the heat was brutal so we went back down to the dance tent and checked out the Kickin' Grass Band who were pretty good along with The Duhks who were more enjoyable than I expected.  After dinner we headed up the hill for Devil Makes Three who most folks seemed to enjoy more than I did.  Too much beer and too much heat and I fell asleep pretty early but there was some very good music on day one.
 
Mama Corn


23 String Band

 
Kickin' Grass Band

 
Devil Makes Three

 
The Duhks

 
 
Day 2 was just as hot but the tent was pretty cool so we set up camp there for the day and watched a string of really good acts play some great sets.  In particular my wife and I really liked I Draw Slow a string band out of Ireland.  My wife asked me to get both of their CD's which is something she never asks me to do.  The SteelDrivers were their usual great selves both in the dance tent and on the late stage for their headlining set.  The Infamous Stringdusters just killed on the main stage with one of the biggest dance crowds of the festival.  These guys just continue to grow. 
 
I Draw Slow
 
 
The SteelDrivers

 
Saturday had a little cooler weather and even hotter music.  We caught another set from I Draw Slow, one from Monroeville and the Carolina Chocolate Drops with Cedric Watson.  I was really looking forward to the Carolina Chocolate Drops but was disappointed by their first set.  So much so that I almost missed them on the main stage later that night which would have been a major mistake because they totally killed later that night.  They are a musical encyclopedia of styles.  Just wonderful.  Jerry Douglas and band did a straight Flatt & Scruggs set and the late night jam band was a blast.  A great day of music.
 
Carolina Chocolate Drops
 
Jerry Douglas

 
The Magnificent Late Night Grey Fox Allstars

 
Monroeville

 
 
All in all another great Grey Fox Festival.  I am already looking forward to next year and the great music and good times at the Walsh Farm.  Oh yeah and you have to love the sunsets...
 






No comments:

Post a Comment