Friday, August 28, 2009

Allman Brothers Band & Widespread Panic at Jones Beach


I have to start out by saying that the Brothers were great at the Beacon in March. I didn't plan on going as they were really starting to get into a rut and I was getting bored. I've seen them a couple of dozen times over the past 30 years so I have some basis for comparission. I want to remember them fondly not as a boring old touring band. My son had never seen them so I grabbed some tickets for one of the Friday night shows. I won the concert lottery because that was the second night Clapton played with them. They were on fire before EC, but the second halof was classic rock nirvana. So I gave it another go with some cheap seats for Jones Beach.

This was pretty much a split decision for me. I got there around 7:30 so I missed some of Panic's set. I've always kind of liked them but never got to see them live so this was indeed a suprise. I've seen Jimmy Herring play with Phil Lesh so I know that he is pretty good, but he is on fire with Panic. His solos were amazing. Sam was dumfounded. Then we got some guest spots with Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes for a few numbers. Great stuff. I have to grab the download from their site and will not miss them on the next NYC stop.

UPDATE: I downloaded the show from the band's web site tonight and upon further review I may not have been kind enough in my words. This was a killer full of great grooves and some superior musicianship. I will be back for more.


Three Candles
Worry
From the Cradle
Tall Boy
Blue Indian
Hatfield>
Impossible>
Thin Air>
Blackout Blues>
Fishwater>
Protein Drink>
Sewing Machine
Ain't Life Grand

Since this was a true double bill, both acts got about 2 hours which is less than a normal show but not too short. The Brothers hit the stage a little after 9:30 and things were pretty good. My bif complaint is song selection. They have a heck of a catalog and it seems like we get a lot of the same songs at Jones Beach year after year. I am sick of Woman Across the River and Rocking Horse (even though Warren killed the solo). In fact Warren Haynes, who I think is one of the all-time greats needs to get away from the Brothers and the Dead for a bit and concentrate on Gov't Mule which is where he really shines. Just my opinion. The setlist was pretty basic, the playing strong but a bit uninspired after the Beacon run, just an OK show. Does anyone else miss Dickey Betts? The best part is Gregg sounds great. Way up in the mix and singing really strong.

DONE SOMEBODY WRONG
HOT LANTA
AIN'T WASTING TIME NO MORE
WOMAN ACROSS THE RIVER
MIDNITE RIDER
ROCKIN HORSE
STATESBORO BLUES
REVIVAL
STORMY MONDAY
ELIZABETH REED (W/ JIMMY HERRING)
SOUTHBOUND

No comments:

Post a Comment