Friday, July 24, 2009

Otis Gibbs - Grandpa Walked A Picketline (Repost)



I was zipping around the blogs today and found a post about Otis Gibbs over at No Depression. I was intrigued. It sounded like I might want to give Otis a chance. Comparisons to Steve Earle usually get my attention so I headed over toe see if it was available on eMusic. As luck would have it, it is. I hit the button and within minutes I was listening to this very fine album.

The tracks are sparse with respect to instrumentation but rich with imagery. I hear a little Chris Knight but the vocals are gruffer. The songs have a political edge like much of Steve Earle's music but the overall result is much stronger in my opinion compared to the last few Steve Earle records. This is a very strong release. Topical, well written and emotionally delivered.

Caroline


Everyday People




Check out "Ain't Nothing Special". If this was a Springsteen track Rolling Stone would go nuts. "Everyday People" pays tribute to those who took the hard path when others wouldn't. Pretty timely in this era of change. The changes won't come from the politicians in DC it will have to come from us.

I think this one is a keeper folks. Head on over to No Depression to read the article that peaked my interest. You can grab the CD from Otis at his website.

No comments:

Post a Comment